7th July, 2020
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY THE NIGERIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, CROSS RIVER STATE BRANCH AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY GENERAL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 7TH JULY, 2020
The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Cross River State branch held an Emergency General Meeting on Tuesday July 7, 2020 to appraise the issues that led to the withdrawal of medical services by the Association.
The Association made the following observations and resolutions:
1) We are most grateful to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and Chairman Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha and the Honorable Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Enahire for the timely 17-member delegation from the Presidential Task Force (PTF) and Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) led by the Executive Director/CEO National Primary Health Care Development Agency Dr. Faisal Shuaib that arrived Calabar on 6th July, 2020 to set up a COVID-19 response strategy in Cross River State that will align with the national response.
2) We deeply appreciate the Director General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu for the activation of two (2) COVID-19 Test Centres at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital and Lawrence Henshaw Memorial Hospital, Calabar.
3) We also appreciate the NMA President Prof. I.A.O. Ujah (mni), the National Officers’ Committee and members of NMA for their support to NMA Cross River State.
4) The Association welcomes the official recognition of the five (5) COVID-19 confirmed cases from the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital by NCDC which has resolved the lingering uncertainties negatively impacting public health and safety and has provided clarity on the COVID-19 status of Cross River State and the required response strategy.
5) We enjoin the Cross River State Government to keep to the resolutions of the meeting held between PTF/FMOH COVID-19 delegation, Nigerian Medical Association – Cross River State branch and the Cross River State Ministry of Health signed on July 7, 2020.
6) The Association hereby suspends the total and indefinite withdrawal of medical services in all public and private hospitals in Cross River State with effect from today, 7th July, 2020.
7) We appeal to citizens of Cross River State to follow the NCDC guidelines on infection prevention and control, while reinforcing our commitment to working with the Federal and State Governments to contain the spread of COVID-19.
8) We sincerely thank the Chief Medical Director, Prof. Ikpeme A. Ikpeme and Management of University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Calabar, the Immediate Past NMA 2nd Vice President, Dr. Ofem Enang, Immediate Past Chairman, Dr. Effiong Mkpanam, Past Chairmen of the Association, distinguished Medical Elders and members of Nigerian Medical Association, Cross River State branch.
9) We appreciate the media and citizens of Cross River State for their understanding, patience and support during this challenging period.
Dr. Agam E. Ayuk
Dr. Ezoke Epoke